WHAT TO EXPECT
Travel with us and discover, Malawi - The Warm Heart of Africa. Our tour starts and ends in Lilongwe. We follow an interesting route, with some of the highlights The Liwonde and Majete National Parks, Mumbo Island and Ntchisi Forest. The 11 day expedition allows you to see more than just the normal touristy areas of Malawi. Accommodation is a combination of luxury and good 3-star lodges/camps. Almost 70% of this tour is on tar/paved roads except for shorter sections of dirt to the lodges/overnight accommodation and of course a few gravel roads to visit interesting places and towns and see some of the lesser-travelled gems hidden in this amazing country. The tour is relaxing and distances travelled daily allow for scenic and rest stops and to enjoy the different venues and activities we visit.
Small groups of only 5-7 motorcycles allow for a more personalised and unique experience.
The trip is suitable for intermediate riders and is pillion friendly - because you would love to share this amazing experience with that special someone. It is also possible to join the tour as a passenger in a 4x4 vehicle.
MALAWI TOUR DATE FOR 20241
Friday, 10 May to Sunday 20 May 2024
- Start/End: Lilongwe, Malawi
- Total Time: 11 days/10 nights
- Riding Days: 9 (first day arrival and last day return flight)
- Riding: Approximately 1,300 Km total (200 Km/riding day average)
- Roads & Terrain: Mostly tar/paved roads with some good gravel roads and a few short sandy patches
- Zomba Plateau
- Boat Safari on Shire River - Liwonde National Park
- Mumbo Island
- Tea and coffee plantations in Thyolo
- Ntchisi Forest Reserve
- The warmth and friendliness of the local people
- And of course the magic of Lake Malawi
- 6,700 USD per rider (includes motorcycle rental)
- 5,150 USD per pillion (sharing accommodation with the rider)
- 6,700 UDS per passenger following in the vehicle
- Transfers from and to the airport in Lilongwe
- All accommodation (10 Nights) - Luxury & Semi-Luxury, Full Board (Single)
- 9 Days Motorcycle rental - BMW R1200GS LC
- Tour Guide on motorcycle
- Park fees, boat safari on Shire River and game drive in Liwonde National Park
- Boat transfers and all activities on Mumbo Island
- Tea Tasting and Coffee Tour at Thyolo
- Park fees and game drives in Majete National Park
- Flying Doctors - Evacuation in case of an emergency/serious incident
- International flights/air travel to Malawi, Kamuzu International Aiport, Lilongwe
- Visa costs/fees where applicable
- Any Covid related tests/costs if applicable
- Drinks (where not included)
- Items of a personal nature
- Any other activities not specifically included in the itinerary
- Backup vehicle
On arrival at Kamuzu International Airport in Lilongwe, your guide Johan will welcome you. After a short transfer to the lodge, you have time to check in and freshen up, relax a little bit and take delivery of your motorcycle. At 18h00, we meet at the restaurant for a tour briefing and you will also meet the rest of the group. If you enjoy Indian Food, the lodge serves some really delicious curries!
After breakfast, we leave for Ntchisi Forest Reserve. The Ntchisi Forest contains some of the remaining indigenous rainforest in Malawi. Some trees tower 30 meters overhead while lianas and strangler figs compete for some sunlight. Today we do not travel far and allows us to pack and get ready at leisure. We will end the day with a sundowner on a huge rock overlooking the beautiful landscape.
After a delicous breakfast, we leave the forest and head for the lake. Lake Malawi is the fifth largest freshwater lake in the world by volume, the ninth largest lake in the world by area and the third largest and deepest lake in Africa.
Our destination today is Liwonde National Park. We take the Bakili Maluzi read up the mountain where we can overlook the Lake Malawi outlet. The lodge is set on a lagoon, just of the Shire River. We will leave the motorcycles at a safe parking area close to the Liwonde National Park Gate and take a boat transfer to our camp. Late afternoon game drive, sundowners in the bush and a sumptuousdinner completes the daily itinery.
Today we head from the bush towards the rolling plantations of Thyolo. After breakfast, we catch the boat to get back to our motorcycles. We do a little detour for a coffee stop on top of the Zomba Plateau, which rises to nearly 2200m. From Zomba we take a lovely dirt road around Mount Mulanje to our lodge - a charming colonial house, built as a family home in 1928 by Maclean Kay.
After breakfast we head back by boat to the mainland. We saddle up and leave for Nkhotakota. Today our day end with a bonfire on the beach and some local music.
A lovely day of riding, visit a local village and then spend the afternoon and evening at a beautiful romantic lodge at the lake. Fabulous food and views.
Today is a busy day for riding and exploring. We ride through the Vizara Rubber Plantations, have lunch in Nkhata Bay and then brave the Gorode Pass up to Livingstonia where we will spend 2 nights. The rest day can be used to hike the many surrounding paths to a waterfall, the organic gardens, or the historical town of Livingstonia.
Well rested, we take a scenic back road to Rhumpi and then head for Mzuzu.
Today is our last riding day and we will head for Lilongwe after an early morning walk. Some interesting detours to get to our destination. Our final dinner to reflect on the tour.
After a sumpsious breakfast, you will be transported to the Lilongwe International Airport - departing back home.