WHAT TO EXPECT
Travel with us and discover, Malawi - The Warm Heart of Africa. Our expedition starts in Blantyre and we follow a circular route first heading South to Mount Mulanje and Zomba and then up North along the shoreline of Lake Malawi. In the North we will visit Livingstonia and then follow some interesting inland routes, back to Blantyre.
The 15 day expedition allows you more time to see the northern areas of Malawi as well and relax an extra day at Livingstonia. Accommodation is a combination of luxury, good 3-star and more rustic, eco friendly lodges.
We transport your motorcycle from Cape Town or Johannesburg to Blantyre, saving you weeks on traveling time and arrange border papers and third-party insurance in Malawi on your behalf.
Most of the trip (almost 70%) will be on tar/paved roads except for shorter sections of dirt to the lodges/overnight accommodation and of course a few gravel roads to visit interesting places and towns and see some of the lesser-traveled gems hidden in this amazing country.
Small groups of only 6-8 motorcycles allow for a more personalised and unique experience.
The trip is suitable for intermediate riders and is pillion friendly - because you would love to share this amazing experience with that special someone.
You can do this expedition on your own motorcycle or a rental can be arranged at an additional cost. If you prefer this option, please contact us for a detailed quotation.
THE 2019 15-DAY STANDARD TOUR DATES1
Saturday, 7 September - Saturday, 21 September 2019
- Start/End: Blantyre, Malawi
- Total Time: 15 days/14 nights
- Riding Days: 12 (2 rest days and last day return flight)
- Riding: Approximately 2,100 Km total (190 Km/day average)
- Roads & Terrain: Mostly tar/paved roads with some good gravel roads and a few short sandy patches
- Majete Wildlife Reserve
- Zomba Plateau
- Boat Safari on Shire River - Liwonde National Park
- Sleep on Mumbo Island
- Visit Livingstionia
- Ntchisi Forest Reserve
- Mua Mission
- The warmth and friendliness of the locals
- And of course the magic of Lake Malawi
- R64,000 per rider (with own motorcycle)
- R38,500 per pillion (sharing accommodation with the rider)
- Return airfare (economy) from Johannesburg to Blantyre
- Return transportation of your motorcycle from Cape Town or Johannesburg to Blantyre
- Tour Guide
- 3rd Party Insurance of motorcycles whilst in Malawi
- All accommodation in Malawi – some luxury, other nights more rustic/basic (no camping)
- Boat Safari on Shire River
- Snorkeling and Kayaking on Mumbo Island
- All breakfasts and dinners, two lunches
- Cost to get to OR Tambo Airport in Johannesburg and back home
- Fuel, lunches, drinks and tips
- Any other boat trips/safari's and activities not specified in inclusions
- Delivery and collection of motorcycle to/from Wild@Heart premises in Cape Town
- Any visa costs (If applicable, depending on nationality)
- Items of a personal nature
Upon your arrival at Chileka International Airport in Blantyre, your bike will be ready and waiting for your Malawi adventure. After changing in your riding gear and finalising your luggage, we will set of to Majete Wildlife Reserve, where we will spend our first night in this Big 5 park.
After a early morning safari walk/drive, we will ride through the most beautiful coffee and tea plantations and take a small dirt road to circumnavigate Mount Mulanje, Malawi's highest mountain. The road take us through the small villages and you will feel like a rock star with all the attention you will get from the locals. We will spend the evening at Zomba, overlooking the beautifully manicured gardens and plateau.
Today we have a fairly short drive to Liwonde National Park. We will watch a beautiful sunset from the deck and go on an amazing boat safari on the Shire River.
After a late breakfast we will travel to Cape Maclear via Chiponde and Mangochi. The road will take us through some beautiful granite rock formations and a mountain pass with spectacular views of Lake Malawi.
Today is a rest day and after breakfast, the boat will pick us up to go to Mumbo Island for a day of snorkelling, kayaking, exploring the island by foot or just relaxing on a hammock.
After breakfast we head back by boat to the mainland. We saddle up and leave for Nkhotakota. Today our day end with a bonfire on the beach and some local music.
A lovely day of riding, visit a local village and then spend the afternoon and evening at a beautiful romantic lodge at the lake. Fabulous food and views.
Day 8 and 9
Today is a busy day for riding and exploring. We ride through the Vizara Rubber Plantations, have lunch in Nkhata Bay and then brave the Gorode Pass up to Livingstonia where we will spend 2 nights. The rest day can be used to hike the many surrounding paths to a waterfall, the organic gardens, or the historical town of Livingstonia.
Well rested, we take a scenic back road to Rhumpi and then head for Mzuzu.
Today is our longest riding day and we will head for Ntchisi after an early breakfast. A great road with many awesome twisties and we will reach Ntchisi just in time for a sundowner on the large rock.
Some stunning gravel roads and scenery, the Dzaleka Refugee Camp at Dowa and a wonderful Indian lunch in Lilongwe, is on the itinerary today. We spend the evening in Dedza at a pottery lodge.
We ride back towards Lake Malawi via the Golooti pass. A stunning ride! On the way we stop at the local stalls to admire (or buy) some of the wood carvings and then visit Mua Mission. We spend the night at a stunning retreat at the lake.
After a leisurely breakfast and some last views of the lake, we head back to Blantyre. Our bikes are loaded and we can spend the late afternoon in Blantyre for some last minute exploring or shopping. We have our final dinner at an excellent Italian restaurant in the city.
Unfortunately all good things come to an end and we leave for the airport after breakfast.